Daniel G. Bruce
Daniel Bruce was born in Littlefield, Texas on February 8, 1954, moved to Juneau at the age of five, and graduated from Juneau-Douglas High School in 1972. During his undergraduate years Dan attended the University of Alaska and the University of the Pacific, receiving his B.A. from the University of the Pacific in 1977. Dan received his J.D. from Gonzaga University in 1982, graduating cum laude. Before becoming a lawyer, Dan was a commercial fisherman in Southeast Alaska for 10 years. He was admitted to the Alaska bar in 1983. In addition to the Alaska Supreme Court, Dan is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court, District of Alaska, Bankruptcy Court for the District of Alaska, United States Court of Federal Claims and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
Dan’s law career began as a law clerk for the Hon. Victor D. Carlson, Superior Court Judge in Anchorage from 1982 to 1983. In 1983 Dan became an associate in our firm, successfully becoming a named shareholder in 1988. During the Alaska recession of the late 80’s Dan spent much of his time in debtor-creditor relations and related matters. He developed a substantial practice in bankruptcy law and was involved in the majority of Chapter 11 cases filed in Southeast Alaska. In addition, he has represented numerous businesses and individuals in a variety of commercial litigation and personal injury cases. His involvement in litigation and his desire to see practical and economic results for our clients fostered his interest in alternative dispute resolution which ultimately led him to seek formal training in mediation. In August 2005 he successfully obtained certification as a mediator after attending Pepperdine University's School of Law Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
Juneau Bar Association; Alaska Bar Association; American Bar Association; American Bankruptcy Institute; National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.
Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy, Debtor-Creditor Relations, Commercial Transactions, Real Estate, Mediation.
• Certified Mediator - Attended Pepperdine University's School of Law Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution August 2005.
• Successfully reorganized numerous clients in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy cases.
• Representation of local title insurance companies and lenders on a number of suits regarding foreclosures and title issues.
• Developed a substantial administrative law practice in front of the Alaska Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission, representing numerous fishers.
• Conducted Pro Bono Bankruptcy Clinics for Alaska Legal Services Corporation.
• Successfully defended a multi-million dollar lender liability suit in 1989 - 1991.
City & Borough of Juneau Planning Commissioner (1998-2005) currently serving as Vice Chair of the Commission. Commission representative on CBJ Public Works Subcommittee and Chair of the Subdivision Review Committee.
Eaglecrest Ski Area Board of Directors (1991-1996).
Juneau Chamber of Commerce